The History of Glossop Parish Church

There have been several church buildings on the site of the parish church of Old Glossop. The present building  was built in 1831 to replace a late mediaeval church. However the bell tower, nave and chancel were rebuilt later - 1854,1914 and 1923 respectively.
There are a number of items of historical interest inside the church dating back to 1691
In Paul Bush's publication "Neath Ancient Moss" he makes reference to the vicars of Glossop from C 1250 to 1987 and their contribution to the expansion of the church and the congregations. An incomplete  list of vicars and dates can be seen on the wall of the bell tower at the back of the church. Paul Bush also describes the Chancel, south and north aisles and the bells in more detail in his book,  which is available to buy in the church
The churchyard contains gravestones dating back to the 1600's.

To research ancestry -  baptisms, marriages and burials in the church records from 1620 up to 1923 please click here

To look for parish records click here or contact Derby Diocesan Archives Office, County Hall, Matlock

                                                   
                     The Church                                               The Chancel                                        The Nave

                                                                Stations of the Cross

                                                             

                                                            14th Century stained glass in the church 
   


                         The Church Yard           

Old Glossop Trail

a window into the early cotton industry - click here for details